Saturday 4 February 2012

Getting A Few Things Straight

Alright. Let's get a few things straight.

I am not a photographer, I do not own a fancy camera or a tripod and have knowledge of photo editing software.

I do not rub shoulders with the fashion bloggers of New York and Los Angeles, and saunter effortlesly down the street sipping triple-vanilla-iced-soy-frappucinos.

I haven't figured out yet how to embed cool pictures and videos in these things, but I will.

I do not profess to be all knowing, all encompassing, all powerful, and do not expect to make a huge dent in cyberspace worthy of a seven-minute spot on The Morning Show.

I am, however, a twenty two year old girl who is fed up with her boring existence, sick to death of the same shoes, the same hair, the same books, the same drinks, the same music. I had a realisation last night- yes, that's right, a realistion- that I want MORE. I want more for my life, for myself. Do you think that's selfish? Because there's a second part to my realisation. Hang on to your seats... I DESERVE more. And the beauty of this little project?

So do you.

Does that come as a bit of a shock? Do you find yourself, as I do, standing on the brink of a gaping chasm of the unknown, terrified to inch forward for fear of plummeting to your demise? How difficult do you think it can be, growing into the person that you want to become? Well, here's the clincher- I'm making it my mission to find out.

I'm going to spend 2012 Cultivating My Personal Aesthetic. More on that later though. Why don't you toddle off, make yourself a coffee and curl up with your cat/dog/book/boyfriend and take a second to actually reflect on yourself. What do you love about youself? How could you push those boundaries? What bothers you about yourself- physically, emotionally, spiritually? What are your favourite things in the entire world? Why? What can't you stand? What makes you want to barf? Why? I think that in order to make major changes to our lives, we need to have a pretty good understanding of why we are the way that we are in the first place. What makes us tick, what makes us laugh, why we like certain colours, why we drink certain teas.

What people think of when they look at you on the street? What's the first thing they notice about you? Are you happy for these thoughts to be their first/ final impression of the person that you are? (No, this is not about 'changing yourself to make others happy', or 'who cares what anyone else thinks'. Humour me, alright? I'm doing it too.)

How about what people say about you after you leave the room at a party? Do they stare after you in awe? Forget you the moment you turn around? Talk about how you seemed distant? Cold? Funny? Sassy? Stupid? Repressed? Seriously- let's all sit down and have a think about it. I'm going to reflect on this peculiar notion in the shower, because I really want to pumice my poor feet (occupational hazard of wearing sky-high heels to work every day), and I'm curious to see if I'm hit by a lighting bolt of inspiration while I practise the meditiative process of washing all the negativity from my skin. Christ, this is my first blog entry after all- wouldn't want to start off on the wrong foot now would we?

M x